Monday, December 20, 2010

What are we teaching our kids

Christmas is right around the corner!! I am so excited for it this year. One thought that keeps coming to my mind, is what are we as parents teaching our kids about Christmas?
I was feeling pretty bad, because I start my shopping way early. like In August. So by the time Christmas rolls around everything is done. The problem with that is my kids change their minds all the way up until the week of. So how do you know what they really want?
I sat down with J my oldest son, and had a talk with him. I have a limit for each kid. I had spent that in November when he came to me and wanted a long board. My stomach just churned. It was a good grown up gift, not a little baby gift( big kids are hard). I wanted to get it for him, but I didn't think that I could. I told him how sad I felt, because I know that all his friends are going to be getting a ton of stuff. He said to me" mom I don't care, why do you. I will get it with my birthday money." I wanted to cry.
That is one of the things I love about my kids. They don't care what their friends have, or are getting. They don't expect it. They are happy with the simple things.
Josh and I don't buy gifts for each other for Christmas, we haven't in years. Thats not what it's about for us. Its about giving to others, and seeing the Joy on their faces.
So We got a some money from our Dear Sweet Grandma Redd, and we spent it on our boys. They are such good boys, and help me out all the time. So I couldn't help myselsf but to get them a gift they really wanted. I am so excited to see their faces Christmas morning.

No comments: